CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 2, 2008

I LOVE PIGS!!!!!!


I love Pigs!!






Yes, that's right.





I love pigs, but not for the reason you are probably thinking. Yes, I can be sweet and say I love Charlotte's Web and I would save a pig too. They really are cute when they are little. However, I think I am too in love with ham, bacon, and pork tenderloin to go vegetarian again. Why are those things soooo good??? I have even witnessed surgeries (in my OR circulating days) for which patients received a new heart valve due to our friend the pig!





No, it is not only for the edible delicacies that I love pigs. Or the sweet children's stories, that warm your heart and have even made me cry at times. Or even the amazing heart valve replacement surgery.





No..... I have a new found reason to love pigs!!






INSULIN






In 1921, a man named Dr. Fredrick Banting ( and his Med student) had a thought. I think I will grind up some pig pancreas and see what will happen if I inject it into a dog. Voila!!! Insulin!!!

Okay..... It was a little more complicated than that. Most importantly some of the first insulins were made from pig pancreas. Later, I believe they were a mixture of both pig and steer. And now I believe they are all synthetic. Don't hold me to all the details. It has been a while since nursing school. If you are into all the history stuff check out these links


http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bldiabetes.htm


http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/dm22in.html





http://www.jdrf.org.au/publications/factsheets/the_history_of_diabetes_and_the_search_for_a_cure.pdf


Yes, I have been newly reminded of yet another reason for being in love with these pink pudgy little guys.

God made pigs. God blesses man with incredible intelligence to figure out how to create insulin.

Man uses this knowledge, for many years scientist work hard to improve insulin and now today (several times a day) one of my dearest friends can inject a greatly refined potion into her little girls arms and legs, and save her life! Wow!!



I LOVE PIGS!!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

WOW !! First, thank you for posting this. I did not even know that this is how insulin was discovered. Secondly, thank you for your friendship. Like I said today, you really go WAY beyond the call of a great friend. You have blown Jeff and I away with your thoughtfullness, love and support through one of the hardest times in our lives. I knew there was a reason you all moved back here !!! :)

brickmomma said...

Hey-

I think I love pigs, too!!!

Mom to Bin and Oaxie said...

Hello, I was beginning to wonder if you were done with your blog page!:) I tried to call you last week while we were in Bryan but none of my numbers worked for you! E-mail me your new numbers.

Becky said...

Hey, glad to see a post! And thanks for sharing his tid-bit of info! I am thankful for them too!